This is a great article to describe the causes of the overly common Runner’s Knee injuries. It is important to note that a balanced yoga practice, specifically suited to the needs of runners, has helped countless people recover from knee injuries as described and, more importantly, has helped countless more avoid such injuries. A balanced yoga practice will:
- Stretch the quadriceps to avoid compressing the knee joint
- Strengthen the inner quadriceps (vastus medialis)
- Stretch and strengthen the hamstrings
What is not mentioned in the article but is also key in avoiding knee injury are listed below. Once again, a balanced yoga practice deals with these aspects also.
- Strengthening the gluteus muscles, gluteus medius in particular
- Strengthening the core
- Strengthening the upper body so the spine can be maintained in proper alignment while running and throughout daily activities